This section is a new feature for our market! It’s still in preview mode but we’d love to start collecting your recipes using local foods!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Oven Dried Tomatoes
Source: Suzanne Somers' Cookbook "Candied Tomatoes" (Entered by Lana Wiedower)
This is super easy and the finished product may be preserved by canning just as you would for regular garden tomatoes.
Serves: It will make as little or as much as you want. This recipe makes one cookie sheet or about 2 pints.
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees while slicing tomatoes in half length-wise. Lay tomato slices face up on cookie sheet with sides.
- Drizzle a tiny amount of evoo on each tomato face. I use a spoon to spread the evoo evenly. Then lightly sprinkle basil, oregano, salt or whatever herb or seasoning you like, on each tomato face. Seasonings are totally optional.
- Gingerly place cookie sheet in warm oven and bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until done. Smells heavenly. Carefully remove from oven and using spatula place tomato halves in container with lid. They will release lots more juice as they cool.
- If you wish to can these, simply place hot tomatoes in sterilized pint mason jars and immediately water bath process for 20 minutes.
- These keep well in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks. But they won't last that long! Yummy!
Comments added by fellow market members.